Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Long time no blog, but I’m back!

Life has been very busy since I last blogged, but I am back and hope to blog a few times a week.

Today I am going to blog about the soup I am making, Split Pea Soup in the crock pot.

IMG_0263

This is what it currently looks like and it smells delicious. I cannot wait for dinner tonight!

Here is the recipe for anyone interested:

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe

Cook Time: 4 to 5 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low
Total Time: 4 to 10 hours
Ingredients:
  • 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
  • 1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
  • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
  • 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
  • 1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
  • 6 cups hot water
Preparation:

Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well.
Serves 8.

I will post a picture once it is done!

No comments: